There was a time in South Philly when life was simple; people enjoyed each other's company. Families would brag about who made the best wines and then share it.
They would bring out their best dishes, "Madonna!" And we'd all feast, and the music, always the music.
That's the Idea behind the Vendemmia Foundation. For 17 years we've tried to capture our Italian heritage and spirit and keep tradition alive.
This is how it all began.
Each year, local and sometimes even regional homemade winemakers enter the Vendemmia competition in any of a dozen categories including among red and white wines. This is a serious competition that has evolved under the auspices of Dr. Jerry Vernose (founder of the festival), Joe Fiola (a specialist in Viticulture from the University of Maryland) and competition coordinator, Vince Novello.
"Winemakers put their whole hearts into it and every year we see more quantity of wines entered and better quality wines as well," Fiola says.
Steps for Entering the annual Vendemmia Homemade Wine Competition:
- Fill out a short application to give us some information about your wine-making and selections for the competition.
- Include a $5 entrance fee with your application (for our materials, etc.)
- Registrants must be able to supply at 3-10 bottles of their submission
- Submissions (3 bottles from each contestant) are delivered to Prudential Savings Bank on 19th & Oregon Avenue, no later than Saturday September 27, 2014, where they are bagged and tagged by category.
- Judging takes place in the morning before the Vendemmia Wine Festival, and winners are announced at the end of the Festival.
- Then we drink.
For more information on entering our wine competition, please call 215-551-3859.